When you run a real estate agency, one onoing problem is in finding the right top salespeople for the job. Top salespeople are hard to find. There are lots of ordinary ones that say they are the best at what they do, but only as few as 2 out of 10 (an average assessment), do what it takes and is necessary to rise to the top of their market. This is a major frustration for agency principals. More top sales performers are required in the commercial property industry.
Let's say one thing of importance here; almost all salespeople will have what it takes to be a top performer in the industry, it's just that they do not action it. I could be making a lot of enemies here so let's qualify what I mean. Top salespeople are better than the rest and do something like this every day:
- They research their market every day for opportunities tomorrow.
- They have a personal database that they run themselves and are accountable for.
- The prospect and cold call for at least 2 or 3 hours every day without fail.
- The build their signage presence across the market so their name is synonymous with quality property in the local area.
- They keep in touch with every inquiry source for the long term to generate a transaction when the time is right.
- The follow up every tenant or buyer lead and stay in touch even when the market is quiet.
- They know every business in the local area and what property needs they could have.
- They have a pipeline process that is proven and solid when it comes to producing leads.
- They are accountable for their time on a daily basis and will not waste time.
- They are prepared to take risks and are fearless when talking to anyone their market. Confidence is the key here.
- They have a communication process that builds solid trust with their prospects.
- They provide relevant market information to their prospects to be seen as a real professional in the local area.
- They build their market knowledge continuously by assessing all local property listings and completed transactions.
- Their marketing solutions and campaigns for new listings are first class and up to date.
Many salespeople struggle with the challenges in this list. They are random and general when it comes to making it or only part of it, work. Can you make an ordinary salesperson a top performer? Yes you can, it just comes down to the focus and momentum that they have with these things above.
Top salespeople know that prospecting is the most important process in their working day; nothing else takes priority. When you adopt this approach, your career and the property market opens up with opportunity. Will you be busy? Yes you will, so get prepared for it; the industry is full of opportunity.